Friday, October 2, 2009

Knit, paint, knit, paint, I am an addict

My daughter goes to our local Waldorf School three mornings a week at their new preschool. She loves it and the sense of community she is joining and I am joining is sheer bliss. I am so happy we decided to send her there, despite the amount of money it is costing us. It is helping me to see how simply she can live and we can live and live a more fulfilling and rich life. Their world is natural and her school grounds her and I am feeling those effects as strongly as she is.

I recently re-took up knitting. I know the very very basics. I am learning again and am challenging myself to further my skills so that I can knit more than my practice squares or a long rectangle that I can call a scarf. Em's new scarf will have a pocket, which she is quite excited about and has decided it should be green and on the left. I'm not sure she has realized quite how scarves work and that they don't have true sides. I am excited that I can sit with her and knit. I can knit at the library or like last night, while we were waiting for our food and her daddy was telling her silly made up stories about our kitties exciting adventures scuba diving and collecting golf balls. What excites me the most is that this is natural and something that women have done for centuries. It is grounding for me. It is simplicity perfected and I love it and am becoming an addict. We are going to Victoria, B.C. next weekend and instead of silly souvenirs that take up space I don't have and collect dust that I don't dust away well, I am going to a yarn shop for wool! I am so excited!

My other new addiction is painting. I have the front hallway just about all ready to paint. I have the color, I have the desire, I have the overwhelming urge to leap from this table and paint paint paint. I cannot wait to see the color on my walls and see my house becoming a home that is light and warm and beautiful. All that is holding me up is finding the paint brushes and rollers after my husband comes home from work tomorrow. I have shown Em the swatches and she is so excited to see the paint on the walls. What I love about this is when it is done I don't plan to put things back on the wall. Em made a comment several weeks ago that I had too many pictures on my bedroom wall. I agree with her. So I am going to slowly take down pictures and only put up one or two that are natural in color-leaves, pumpkins, sunflowers, oceans, trails in the woods. One picture is worth a thousand words. I don't need lots and lots to confuse me under a myriad of several thousand words enveloping my already busy brain.

Paint, paint, knit, knit. My home is slowly coming to fruition. It will ground us as a family and show us what true happiness is when you can look into the beauty of a newly painted wall without any further adornment while wrapping yourself up in a newly knitted warm cozy pocket scarf. Pics of the finished projects to come next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment