Thursday, January 21, 2010

Creating space

It's still a new year, but it is going fast. Usually in the Pacific Northwest winter takes our sun at about 4:30 at night, but today at 5:15 it was still relatively light, the sun slowly sinking below the horizon. I am feeling like spring will be here just around the corner and I'm not quite ready for it! I have taken on three new challenges so far, along with daily life. I am creating a new me, a new home, and new changes for the greater good of our planet.

One small change is still underway. I am doing okay with the travel mug for all my coffee drinks. I have slipped with remembering bags at grocery stores and thrift stores. Perhaps I took on too much with wanting to develop two new habits in 30 days. But I am really proud of myself with the travel mug! One day I really wanted a coffee drink prior to picking my daughter up from preschool. I was returning books at our local library, took my coffee mug into the bathroom and cleaned it off, returned my books, and then proceeded to the coffee stand (a really yummy "green" coffee stand.) I couldn't help but to smile at myself. I found a way to get my coffee and not use a disposable (although theirs are compostable) coffee cup! If only I could remember to have spare cloth bags at all times with me in case of thrift store or yarn store emergencies!

My next new challenge is a wonderful and amazing e-course offered through freespiritknits.blogspot.com/
It is called "Inside Out" and involves thought provoking questions to journal about, yoga, and guided meditation and an incredible group of women to journey along with. This has come at such a perfect time in my life. 40 this year and wanting this to be my decade at last! I want this one to be great, not good, but GREAT. This course will be the stimulus for so many of the changes I want to make. It is already got me thinking and planning and plotting to make my life better. Thank you Shannon! I have just found you and I already love what you have brought to my life through your course!

My last challenge is also due to Shannon. She challenges us and herself to reduce clutter and create space. Oh How I NEED SPACE and less clutter. This is coinciding with her e-course as the journaling aspect of the course has really made me see what is not working in my life. Not being able to find a clear space or clear time that is just mine, to write, to create, to just be, to still all the voices in my head. I don't have enough space for either. I have too much stuff, too much clutter. I have already filled my car with items for a Goodwill trip. I am looking at my kitchen, my bedroom, my living room, and asking myself "Why am I keeping this? What does it add to my life?" If I can't think of a great answer, into the Goodwill box it goes. I have to make those hard decisions. My life as is isn't working. I am constantly rearranging stuff, finding room for stuff, getting really irked at stuff. That isn't life. That isn't what I want.

I want to just be. I want to be mindful. I want to be present with myself, my husband, my daughter. I want to open the door to my home and be home and be able to breathe and not come in, going arg...look at how much stuff I still have to deal with.

It feels like a lot to take on. It is. But it is good. All of it is creating space for what matters. It will free me in so many ways. I can be. I can just be. I can create and love and make a difference, for myself, for my family, and for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment