Saturday, December 19, 2009

She has the magic of Santa Clause

I debated for weeks whether to let my daughter "have" Santa Claus. I know how commerical and materialistic this time of year and this particular holiday has become. I see the Christmas decorations in the store along side Halloween decorations in early October. It is too early. It bothers me. It makes me sad. I don't want my daughter caught up in that world-that holiday. I check out books from the library on St. Nicholas, on solistice, on how we came to have our version of Santa Claus. I am overwhelmed. I am trying to tell my 3 1/2 year old...well there was this man and he did great things and the current version is kind of based on him. She asks me what to believe and I ask her what does she think, what does she believe? I don't know what to think Mommy, that's why I'm asking you. OH....

I read a book about simplifying life for my daughter. It's wonderful and I'm only about ten pages into it. But basically a point is driven home. We are introducing adult fears and stresses into children's lives way before they can or should handle them. We are creating anxiety for them. We are robbing our children of the magic of childhood. BINGO...

She gets Santa Claus. I told my husband we will be honest when she asks us what we believe. Today I was. Mommy do you believe there is a Santa Claus? In a way yes, I tell her. I believed when I was a child and was excited about Christmas morning and what presents I'd have and leaving cookies for hinm on Christmas Eve. What presents did you get as a child? She asked and it made me think and I had great fun remembering or trying to remember and tell her about my childhood toys. I also tell her that although now I know my Mum and Dad used to buy me the presents, I still believe in the idea and spirit of Santa Claus. The idea of surprising a loved one with a gift, just because you love them and love to see their faces light up with opening up a gift. I love the idea that people this time of year give to others in need, in want, or simply just because. I love all of that.

I love Christmas and making homemade cookies and crafts and gifts for my family. This I am also giving my daughter. She helped me today make handmade coasters and tree ornaments. They were simple, but they were fun and we did them together. Nothing commercial; nothing consumeristic. But in the true spirit of giving of the heart; the magic of the season.

My daughter has been giving the gift of magic. She has the magic of Santa Claus and I am so glad we decided to let her have it. She has been so fun asking for us to leave Santa three cookies along with milk. Plus she is always asking "Why does Santa burn his butt?" (when he comes down the chimney.) This young child with such a beautiful and vivid imagination has given me back the magic of Christmas and Santa Claus as well. It is truly a blessing and a gift from the heart. We gave her Santa; she has given us so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment